Child Abuse Attorney in Los Angeles County, California
Advocating for children’s rights
More than three million child abuse reports are filed annually in the United States—amounting to one child abuse report occurring every ten seconds. The Law Offices of Sanford Jossen in El Segundo has represented child abuse victims throughout California for over 35 years. Mr. Jossen’s practice focuses on children’s rights, and he has litigated child abuse cases involving:
- Sexual molestation
- School negligence supervision
- Social worker negligence
- Institutional neglect matters
A skilled and experienced California child abuse attorney, Mr. Jossen has represented hundreds of children in their claims against:
- Government entities including State of California and local entities
- Insurance companies
- Private parties
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Day Care Centers
- Mental health faculties
- Group homes
- Regional Centers
- Foster Homes
- Department of Children and Family Services
- School Districts
Types of child abuse
There are four major types of child abuse:
- Physical abuse refers to an injury caused by physical aggression, including burning, beating and shaking. Even when injuries are unintentional, it is still physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse refers to any sexual act between an adult and child, including intercourse, incest, rape, oral sex and sodomy. A child is never at fault in sexual abuse because it is the adult’s responsibility not to engage in sexual acts with children. Sexual child abusers can be any adult, whether it be a parent, teacher or stranger.
- Emotional abuse is any action or failure to act that negatively affects a child’s mental health, emotional health or development. Such abuse can range from verbal abuse to extreme punishment.
- Neglect is an act of omission. Because it is inaction, it often goes undetected and unreported. Child neglect is a pattern of failing to provide for a child’s physical and emotional needs. Studies show that nearly two-thirds of all child abuse falls under child neglect. Any time you place your child in the care of another, if your child suffers harm from a failure to supervise or care for your child, this is neglect and your child is entitled to be compensated.
California child abuse attorneys obtaining justice for victims
Child abuse is the ugly secret often swept under the rug. While criminal proceedings against perpetrators can obtain some justice for victims and their families, the criminal justice system does not provide for financial accountability to your child. Who pays for the counseling, care and pain and suffering experienced by a neglected or an abused or molested child? Such parties, who could or should have known of the abuse and took no action to protect the victim, may also be legally liable, including:
- Youth organizations
- Government agencies
- Social workers
Contact us for a free consultation
Even if a criminal case is ongoing, you may only have a limited time to file a claim against culpable parties. Wherever you live in California, contact us online or call us toll free 866-862-6607 today to schedule a free consultation with a El Segundo attorney and discuss how we can obtain justice for you. We know this area of law and can help you. Don’t delay to avoid any prejudice to your child’s rights as the time to file these types of claims, if a government entity is involved, is limited.